Sunday, August 26, 2007

Beating Fear

This afternoon, I decided to surf a bit and find places to send my writing. It sparked some ideas and I was inspired. I went to About.com to once again read about becoming a guide and all of the reasons I shouldn't apply. I don't have time to dedicate to that even though I can do alot of the work on evenings and weekends. I don't have much to say though my writing journal is full of things I could develop and send out. I came to the conclusion that I was too afraid, too chicken to send out my writing. I then decided to figure out why I was so scared. So today I went through my books and found two that would address my fear. One is "The Faith of a Writer" by Joyce Carol Oates and the other is "The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear" by Ralphy Keyes. I'm reading the second book now to get down to why I'm so afraid. That and I'm going to write down everything that keeps me afraid. I've been a scardeycat for most of my life and only the onset of Motherhood has brought my fear to a respectable level whereby I'm able to do most things, more afraid of what won't happen if I do blow past my fears. So, my goal today is just to understand myself better so that I can push myself further as a writer than I've ever been. :) Note to writers: If there is something to be afraid of, it is not to have tried at all. Skyraven

No comments: