Thursday, July 5, 2007

Good Record Keeping

Today, I received word that my son's tuition for school was caught up to date. This was, however, after being told that I couldn't receive his report card because I missed a payment. I knew I hadn't missed one because I keep great records in my checkbook. Apparently, this was not my mistake, but a clerical error at the school. So what did I learn? I learned that if I'm going to put my writing out there, I have to keep good records of what I'm submitting, where, when, and to whom. Excel is great for this because I can set up a worksheet for my submissions. Guess it's true that a lesson is learned in everything. Skyraven

4 comments:

Nancy Cavanaugh said...

When you start getting paid for your work it is also good for keeping track of how much you got paid for the story so that when tax season comes around again you can report your taxes accurately. Most places will not send you tax paperwork so it is your responsibility to keep track of it. I do a lot of freelance work and writing and that's how I'm keeping track of it. As soon as income comes in, it gets added to my Excel document.

Seven said...

I've been submitting many stories and not keeping track of anything. Perhaps I should. Especially if it's as easy as you say...

Skyraven said...

Nancy, thanks for the tax advice. When I'm rolling in the dough, I'll be sure to use it. :) Come back soon.

Skyraven said...

Seven,

I just use an Excel sheet to keep track of what I've written and where I submit to. I also keep acceptance emails in a special folder so that I know where my work has been accepted. :) Don't be a stranger. :)